enet has spent the last 14 years investing in fibre infrastructure to create the largest alternative telecoms network in Ireland. Latterly the company has also integrated an extensive, high performance licensed wireless network to complement our fibre footprint.
As the wholesale only service provider of choice for licensed carriers, we are genuinely committed to the development of open access networks for the delivery of affordable, high capacity connectivity solutions to homes and businesses throughout Ireland.
In 2017, 78% of enet was acquired by the Irish Infrastructure Fund (IIF), a joint venture of AMP Capital and Irish Life Investment Managers, while the remaining 22% is held by Granahan McCourt Capital – led by David C. McCourt, as well as the private family fund of Walter Scott Jr. (who sits on the board of Berkshire Hathaway).
enet operates fibre optic infrastructure known as the Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) on behalf of the Irish government. These networks are capable of delivering virtually unlimited bandwidth to 94 towns and cities throughout regional Ireland.
The MANs operate on an open-access basis meaning that all licenced carriers can have access. This model is contrary to traditional operators’ exclusivity of network, and allows for competition in a way that has not previously happened.
In operating the MANs, enet has transformed the Irish telecommunications industry by stimulating competition, reducing bandwidth costs and accelerating Ireland’s broadband position.
The MANs underpin a policy of balanced regional development by removing a barrier to Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and there is demonstrable evidence to highlight that MAN towns now secure the vast majority of FDI jobs.
To view our network coverage click here.
Our passion is in providing towns and cities in Ireland with a communications infrastructure that allows them to compete on a global stage. We are committed to:
- Implementing and managing cost-effective fibre and wireless network connections, open to all operators equally.
- Offering best-in-class capabilities for network build and management of fibre and wireless based facilities
- Increasing the addressable market for fibre and wireless based products and services within the regions.
- Providing a professional service to our customers using world-class Service Level Agreements.
- Making it easier and more cost-effective for carriers to deliver broadband and high performance connectivity solutions to more customers.
Find out more about what we are good at.